Monday, March 19, 2012

Rodes City Run 10K - Race Recap

On Saturday we had the second race of the Triple Crown of Running - the Rodes City Run 10K.

The morning started off pretty good, although I was a little slow to get going (which is pretty typical for me when the alarm starts going off before 6am). Since we were meeting up with Jennifer's team again before the race, we had to get going early.

With a cup of coffee, a granola bar, and the rest of our running necessities in tow, we hit the road.

Parking was really easy to find, partially because we parked by the finish (which was about a mile from the start), and because we were there about an hour before the race started.

After Jennifer had her pre-race team meeting, we headed to the start.

The weather was absolutely perfect for a race! It was a little on the warm side, but I definitely prefer that over the cold. It definitely made our little walk all the more enjoyable.

We got to the start with about 10 minutes to spare, so while we were waiting, I snapped a few pics. Look at all those people!

I'm not so big on crowded races, but I absolutely love how many people are interested in racing!

Check out the sunrise just after the race started:

So if you recall from week 1 of triathlon training, my goal for this race was to beat my previous PR time of 57:47. Since I've really been sticking to my training this year, and my runs have been going so great lately, I was hoping to come in somewhere under the 55 minute mark, which would put me around an 8:50 minute-per-mile pace.

My plan was just to start off at a comfortable pace, and try to step it up for the 2nd half of the race. I was really just trying not to use too much energy too early. I ended up starting off in the low 8's and it felt great.

The first half of the race had some rolling hills, so I made sure to ease up a little on the hills, letting my pace drop into the 9's (which I made up for on the downhills).

At the halfway point, I was around 26 minutes, which is about 2 minutes slower than I did the Anthem 5K two weeks ago. Perfect.

From that point on I started trying to push my pace a little. The course really flattened out, but I was starting to wear down some, so there were definitely some times when keeping my pace in the low 8's was tough.

With about a mile left to go I started talking to myself a lot. I was doing a lot of math in my head, trying to estimate my finish time, and trying to encourage myself to push a little harder to make sure I left it all out there.

With a half-mile left, I went to my go-to song, although I think I was thinking too much for it to really be effective.

The end of this race is deceiving -- first, there's a turn with a short downhill road. Then, there's another turn with a small uphill before finally getting to the finish. After the second turn the finish line looks so close, although it's probably close to 1/4 mile away. And it never fails -- as soon as I hit that corner and see the finish, I get really excited and start sprinting, but I usually run out of steam about halfway to the finish.

This year was no exception.

Actually, by the time I crossed the finish, I was sure I was going to puke. I can't remember ever feeling like that before. Feeling like I was about to die? Sure. But never like I was going to puke.

So was it worth it?

Indeed it was. My official time was 51:53 -- nearly 6 minutes better than my previous record!!

And what better way to celebrate than to spend the rest of the day out having some beers with friends to celebrate St. Patty's Day?


  1. Congratulations on your PR! I found myself in one of your photos.

  2. Thanks! Nice job hitting your goal too!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...